Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Noms

I have found that dieting works best when you can forget how good food can be. You don't think about the things you are missing, and just dig your fork into that salad, mmm crunchy lettuce. The problem is that if you work in an office, every so often an occasion comes up that warrants baked goods being laid out in front of you in all their sugary goodness.



And then you remember the first soft, crumbly bite into a cupcake or cookie, the way chocolate or frosting sticks to your lip, so that you have to lick off the creamy gooey goodness. It's an erotic experience really.


Don't mind me, I'm currently in the sugar afterglow of Magnolia cupcake(s). Which are certainly good, don't get me wrong, but for my money, the ultimate cupcake in NYC comes from Sweet Revenge. The flavors are inventive, and run all through, not just a topping, but a wholly infused cake. I am partial to the Ducle de Leche ones, "Argentine Caramel Cake with Argentine Caramel Buttercream." But don't forget their self-named cupcake, the Sweet Revenge, "Peanut Butter Cake, Ganache Filling with Peanut Butter Fudge Frosting." Tell me that and a glass of milk, or better yet, a White Russian, doesn't sound heavenly?

And the best cookies I've found here are from Milk and Cookies. The snickerdoodle is particularly good. (BTW, does anyone know why a cookie that has nothing to do with Snickers is named that?).






As for frozen yogurt (ok, I know, why wouldn't I just go straight to ice cream at this point? But I happen to really enjoy the mix and match flavors and toppings craze) was a place called Yogurtland, which closed. But in it's place, Phileo Yogurt opened, which is essentially exactly the same, just slightly more expensive. But it's self serve, you can choose from about 10 different rotating flavors of yogurt, mix them as you please (I usually go Oreo and Peanut butter, with a dash of Vanilla), and then put on your own toppings (almond slices, granola, and graham cracker), and then they charge you by the weight. It may be nonfat yogurt, but after the toppings, it quite a treat all the same.



And then on to donuts, because as anyone who cares about pastry knows, Dunkin is a poor choice. I am a newcomer to this place, but Doughnut Plant (they even spell it right!) is delicious. The Creme Brulee one is amazing. I go into sugar shock just thinking about it. May I also recommend the Tres Leches.





Now that your mouth is watering, do you really want a little salad, or something warm, gooey, and delicious that melts in your mouth and leaves you begging for more?

1 comment: