Sunday, January 31, 2010

An Introduction

I am a fan of detachment from reality. Stephen King wrote, “Some people would rather keep their illusions than despair," and I absolutely believe in that idea. I also listen to what Mr. King has to say.

That being said, if I have to see one more magazine cover about the threesome relationship between Angelina, Brad, and Jen, I may have to release my own sex tape. If I could just figure out how to find and roofie Justin Timberlake...

Now, to be clear, I know there is plenty of real news out there, magazines and newspapers (remember those?) reporting the many trial and tribulations of the world. There are plenty of covers of Obama, Michelle, and Sarah (prom queen) Palin. But the fact is, the news is extremely depressing. So many people dying in Haiti, the debate over health care, the never ending war in the Middle East.

This is exactly why we need escapes. I have spent the past few months immersed in the worlds of Charlaine Harris (think True Blood, in BOOK form) and Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series (walkers, werewolves, and other supernatural creatures). Fiction and fantasy are a great alternative to stressing over the world at large.

So, gentle reader, may I suggest that in addition to reading blogs, you find yourself something to indulge in of the "other worlds than these" persuation, be it serious liturature or mass market fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment